Thursday, May 29, 2008

CSA


This year our family is participating in a CSA , community supported agriculture. We are a part of the Delvin Farms co-op, which provides a bushel of organically grown food each week. It is so fun to guess what might be in our bushel, although mom has a heads up because the owner sends an email of what to expect with some recipes. The last few weeks I haven't gotten around to take a picture before I jumped into the goodies. So far, we have eaten kale, swiss chard, onions, garlic, lettuce, strawberries, and this week collard greens. This new experience has really challenged my cooking skills, which are lacking, so I have had fun learning and trying new recipes. If you have any good ones to share, please do... There is a recipe we tried this week and really enjoyed!
Matthew's Spicy Tomato Peanut & Kale Pasta
(I doubled this recipe for us)
dry pasta, enough for two
1 10 oz can of tomato juice, unsweetened (I used crushed tomatoes)
2 C kale, finely chopped
2 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 tsp Asian Chili -garlic sauce
Boil pasta. While pasta is cooking, in a medium pot on medium heat. cook tomato juice and kale for ~ 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in peanut butter and chili sauce until smooth and simmer an additional 2 minutes. Drain and return noodles to the pot. Add the sauce to the noodles and toss together well. Yummy!
At first, the boys turned their nose up, but after I asked them to have a try bite, they literally devowered it! It's light, fresh and oh so good!

4 comments:

Karen said...

sounds good...we will try this one for sure!

If you guys liked this one, I've got one for you that the boys will be sure to love...I even make it for lunches for us sometimes. Remind me to give it to you!

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

sorry about the removed comment...don't know what happenend, but it published my comment twice.

mjb said...

I knew ketchup made everything taste better. I did not know that peanut butter could have the same effect!