Friday, September 14, 2007

More than just music

Tonight our family went to a local favorite, Mellow Mushroom, for dinner. As always we enjoy the energy and enthusiaism that restuarant creates, but tonight was different. Owen and Griffin had brought books in to read and were drawing some pictures while Chad and I talked. Owen turned to me and said, "Mommy, is this music honoring to God?" Hummm, I thought for a moment and had to respond. "I can't hear the words, but more than likely it's not buddy. So although we can't personally turn it off like we could our T.V. or radio, we need to always be aware of what we are listening to." Can't say I ever thought about that at 4, much less at 30. Now, with all that said, trust me, Chad and I love all kinds of music and Owen has learned a few lines to some popular hip hop, but I just thought it was challenging to me to always be ready to defend the gospel and respond to those moments.

1 comment:

Ross said...

I remember eating at Mellow Mushroom with Chad on one of my trips to Nashville. Loved it! The other day, Henry busted out with the same question while listening to James Taylor in the car. There's nothing like getting tough questions/conviction from our little ones! Let it be known, however, that I left the CD in. A little conviction won't spoil James Taylor!! I miss you guys!